Usually Winter signifies a time to bake in my household. It’s cold and cosy and the warm oven and delicious smells permeating the house really scream out comfort. However, the weather lately has been quite odd for Winter… the days have been amazing. The warm sunny days have seen us spending more and more time outside and less time in the kitchen. My boys have been enjoying digging in the dirt and finding an afternoon snack in the garden. Today, however, I did feel like something homemade and wanted to be prepared for next week’s lunchboxes so I decided to do some much overdue baking (these freeze well so are a good option for lunches). The bars can just as easily be cut into smaller portions and served as a slice instead. I use the bigger bars because my kids have a huge appetite these days!
I’ve also been looking for ways to use up the eggs we have! At the moment we are getting five eggs everyday but with another 11 laying hens joining us in three weeks, I’d better at least use up the eggs we’ve already accumulated! This slice is a great ‘throw together’ type recipe that you can make when you’re running low on supplies as many of the ingredients may already be in your pantry and, as is the case with most of my recipes, they are super easy and quick to make.
125g butter, melted
100g rapadura sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
200g white spelt flour
120g rolled oats
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a slice tray (approx. 23 x 23 cm) with baking paper
2. If butter is unmelted, cut into small cubes and add to the TMX bowl. Melt for 1 min 30 sec/ 60 degrees/ speed 3
3. Add sugar and mix 10 seconds/ speed 5
4. Add egg and vanilla and mix 10 seconds/ speed 5
5. Add remaining ingredients and mix for 20 seconds/ reverse/ speed 4
6. Transfer mixture to lined slice tray and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a slice tray (approx. 23 x 23cm) with baking paper
2. Combine melted butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in bowl with a whisk
3. Add all other ingredients and stir to combine using a spatula
4. Transfer mixture to lined slice tray and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool before slicing.
Until next time,