So, this week for ‘From Scratch Friday’ I’ve decided to make something that doesn’t take all day to create and is something that can even be made on a week night! I like dairy products and we use them regularly in our kitchen. I also like variety and to give us all a break from dairy milk I sometimes like to throw together a nut milk. I often find nut milks can create and add a delicious flavour to hot chocolates, custards and are a great alternative to dairy milk in baking (obviously not for school baking). My absolute favourite thing about DIY nut milk though? We live a fair drive from town so to discover the milk in the fridge is ‘off’ usually makes me want to have an adult tantrum because no milk means no coffee for me. Luckily, the ever present bag of bulk cashews, coconut and dates in my deep freeze means that I can create some form of milk, drink my coffee and continue on functioning for the day (I probably need to assess my caffeine addiction – ha ha!)
One thing that does irritate me about DIY milks of any form is wasting that lovely pulp that is left at the end. Although, my chickens love to gobble it up without a second though, I decided it may be nicer used to make a snack. And who doesn’t love little bliss ball type snack. I can honestly say, I think this is the yummiest version of a ‘bliss ball’ that I’ve tried. These full flavoured little bites are great for squashing those 4pm pre-dinner blues too.
Cashew-Coconut Milk (TMX – Makes 1 Litre)
60g Desicated coconut
30g Pitted dates (5-6 or you can use less or omit these)
1 TBS Coconut Oil
1 Litre of filtered water
1. Blitz cashews, coconut and dates for 10 seconds/ speed 9
2. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 4 minutes/ 60 degrees/ speed 4
3. Blitz again for 10 seconds/ speed 8
4. Allow to cool slighlty, then strain through a nut milk bag, squeezing as much milk out as you can. Transfer to a glass jar or bottle and keep in the fridge for up to three days. Shake before use. Reserve leftover pulp.
Spiced Snack Bites (Make 12-14)
100g Pitted dates
50g Sunflower seeds
1 TBS Maple syrup (optional)
1 tsp Vanilla powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Place all ingredients into TMX bowl and blend 15 seconds/ speed 8 – scrape sides and blitz again for a smoother texture, I like mine a little chunkier.
2. Roll into balls and roll in desicated coconut to coat.
3. Refrigerate and enjoy!