Cottage pie is one of those family recipes that kids usually love. I love cottage pie because I can load up the veggie content for dinner and the kids inhale them without evening questioning it. Extra veggies for dinner is always a winner in my books! After spending a lot of time away from home this past fortnight I was really craving a hearty, homemade, nourishing dinner and this just fit the bill.
This recipe was born out of my desire to have minimal dishes to deal with for the after dinner clean up. By using the pan the mince mixture is cooked in to bake the finished pie I’m saving dishes and time because I can cook the mince while the sweet potato cooks away in the Thermomix, meaning I can have this in the oven in 20 minutes and have it on the table for dinner after 10 minutes in the oven – great seeing as my children are like clockwork and need dinner at 5.30pm or they get a little hangry! I have used a cast iron pan to cook the mince, you can do the mince in the Thermomix if you so desire, I just prefer the texture of mince cooked in the pan.
Veggie Loaded Cottage Pie
Ingredients – Mince
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 brown onion, finely sliced
2 TBS Ghee
500g beef mince
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
100g button mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup tomato passata
2 TBS tomato paste
1 TBS stock concentrate
1 tsp dijon mustard
2 TBS worcestershire sauce
Ingreidents – Topping
900g sweet potato, roughly chopped (you can do half potatoes, half sweet potatoes too)
1/2 cup grated cheese
Method – Topping
Thermomix – Add sweet potato/ potato and water to bowl and cook for 18 minutes/ 100 degrees/ speed 1. Once cooked, insert butterfly and mash for 30 seconds/ speed 4.
Stovetop – add sweet potato and water to saucepan and boil until sweet potato is soft. Use a hand held masher to mash until desried consistency is reached.
Method – Mince
* If you have a Thermomix you can cut down on prep time by – chopping onion and garlic (3 sec/ sp5), grating zucchini and carrot (roughly chop then add to TMX bowl for 3 sec/ sp5) and grating cheese by cubing into approximately 1 cm pieces then adding to TMX bowl (10 sec/ sp 9).
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
2. In a pan (it needs to be able to be transferred to the oven – I use a cast iron casserole dish) heat ghee and add onion and garlic. Fry until translucent.
3. Add beef and cook until browned (using a wooden spoon to break up any bigger pieces)
4. Add carrot, zucchini and mushrooms to pan and cook while stirring for 5 minutes of until the vegetables appear to have softened.
5. Add remaining mince ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes. Once the mince mixture has thickened up remove from heat.
6. Using a wooden spoon, press the mince mixture into the pan to flatten out the top. Spead the potato mixture over the top then add the grated cheese.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned slightly.
Then watch the children devour all those veggies!